The land area known as Bomore had many uses over the years. It was originally part of the Sligo race course starting in the 18th century and was used for horse racing up to 1952. Then for many years it was used for cattle grazing and had an electric fence fitted between it and the golf course. In the 1950’s a local business man built a small aeroplane hangar where he kept a private aeroplane using the part of Bomore as a landing strip. The golf club acquired the lease of the area in the sixties.
Over the years it was discussed many times about building another nine holes on Bomore. It the early eighties nine holes were laid out but never built.
In the club Centenary year the club Captain Oliver McDonagh asked our consulting agronomists S. T. R. I if they would assist in developing nine holes on Bomore. They appointed Jonathan Tucker to design and oversee the project. The project commenced in 1997 and was opened for play in 1999. The road to Bomore was upgraded, a car park was added and toilets and an office built adjacent to the course with a practice ground.
The nine holes starts with par four with a slight dogleg and a drain just short of the green. The second a par four, has a drain crossing the fairway which can be cleared but only by long hitters. The third is a straight par four but with a tight fairway and penal rough. The fourth a short par three has a stream running along the right hand side of the green to catch wayward shots. The fifth a par five a double dog leg has a pond on the left hand side and heavy gorse near the green. There is heavy rough on the right side and some gorse, a drain crosses the fairway and there is a plateau green.
The sixth, a par four dog leg, with a tight fairway and gorse on both sides and penal rough. A drain runs along the left hand side right up to the green which slopes down towards the drain. The seventh a par four with a slight dogleg, but there is heavy gorse on both sides of the fairway for the second shot up to the green. A drain crosses the fairway. The eight a long par three with gorse on the left hand side near the green and bunkers on the green right hand side. The ninth a par four has heavy gorse on the right hand side and out of bounds on the left hand side. Normally into the prevailing wind is a strong finishing hole. The course length is 2758 metres or 3034 yards.